Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Odds & Ends + Thanks!!

Still no competition schedule. It's really not that important but you like to know what time of day you jump, especially because they are coming into Spring as we are going into Fall. Once I know then I can check weather for trends that time of day and see what temperatures, wind, humidity, rain, etc. If it's evening or night it changes what I need to take to make my grip stay sticky. If it rains it requires something else. Sure you take this stuff anyway but mentally you need to have already been there and worked through the details as far in advance as possible.

Reading this blog I realize how much my schedule and daily events make every attempt to knock my training off. Somehow I manage to get it done anyway. I had no idea that my life is day after day of constant adjustments in order to remain accountable to my training. Is that any way to live? I don't think I know another way. I need exercise to stay sane (releatively) but I need a reason to work out, so there you go.

To that list let's add that it will be 95 today and our central air went out during the night so the house is already 76 at 8 AM. So I won't stretch this morning as I have other things to juggle. I'll do it later today when it is real hot in the garage where I will just crank music, take my time, sweat and enjoy!

My gut feeling is that I will wait until Thursday to jump. I considered going on the short cycle and jumping tomorrow but Sunday was a high intensity day and I'm pretty sore today. I'll give it a day on the side of caution and see how I feel Thursday. Worse case I'll drop down to my mid-level 13' poles, work my way up, and clean up some technical things that are bothering me. As you can see I'm a big planner but I also don't hesitate to make changes if I feel it puts me at risk when the day arrives.

I feel somewhat frustrated today because I'm not able to control my schedule this week as much as I usually can. But hey, life is full of surprises and you just deal with it. On top of that I felt like Sunday was a breakthrough day but now my body tells me that it's not ready for that demand every vault day. I could force it and be maybe 60-70% safe that I don't get hurt but it's not worth that risk. I just have to remember Sunday - I started on an easy pole and finished on a big one. What's wrong with that? I don't HAVE to start on a big pole for it to be a good day. But when I can I will be ready for big jumps. Apparently not yet.

The biggest thing that keeps going through my mind is that every time I have gotten hurt I knew I was at risk and took the chance anyway. I simply can't do that. When I woke up this morning to let the dogs out, my body said "you are NOT jumping tomorrow". I think I need to listen. Thanks!! Bubba

PS - I have gotten some very nice emails from people watching this blog from lifelong friends to fellow vaulters. Thank you so much as you are very special to me. Do me a favor - if you see anything glaring that I'm missing or reasoning wrong, shoot me an email and let me know. This is truly a team effort and I am very grateful to have you all on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment