Friday, September 18, 2009

Poles Catch 22, World Indoors & Final Training

I got an email from Bruce Caldwell that even though it costs only $184 to get my poles to Australia, the total bill to get them through customs both ways and back home is $1,900, or $900 more than the $1,000 I have already paid. I could almost leave them and buy new ones for the difference except that they were all specially made for me. I'm stuck. As much as I've spent I'll have to spend a little more in order to give me the best chance to succeed. The problem is Qantas will not fly poles as baggage yet my flight and hotel for six days is only $2,300, so I'm paying one way or the other. I could borrow poles but we have already committed the first $1,000 to the company so it's cheaper not to back out. Plus, who is to say the borrowed poles would be close to what I need? it's less stressful to pay the money and be done with it, so I did.

World Indoors
I have mentioned that Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada will host the World Indoors in March. We have had similar oddities there as they say that if you will be staying ANY day between March 1-4, then you must stay ALL of those days. That's just flat stupid as I don't vault until the 5th so why would I arrive or pay for the 1st? We're looking at a ski resort nearby as an alternative. It's less than half an hour away, cheaper and in nice surroundings. Could be fun.

Training Changes? Not Yet!!
I have resisted the urge to switch my lifting to next year's lifting. I'm really excited to swap out some lifts but I'm afraid I might get some type of weird soreness that might cause some little ding because of the change. Today is the third day I've had to remind myself of this fact. It takes usually 2-3 weeks to settle into a new program and that's all I have. A little ding can cost me 2-3 three weeks and that's all I have. So the verdict is to wait.

Vault Plans
I was briefly annoyed yesterday when I couldn't find my smallest 14' pole because that would mean I'm stuck at my 32' 6" run until I go. I did find it and put it back in my bag so that means I can run from 43'. In the meet I will start from 54'. I could move up to a bigger pole but what if I get a ding from trying to push my run to get on the pole? I can't risk that. If you remember from one of my earlier posts, I tend to jump high when I go to bigger poles after being on small ones because I benefit from a greater energy return and better positions. I'm counting on that. Yesterday I jumped 12' 6" from 32' 6". That should be good enough for a medal but you have to do it on that day and not during a leisurely practice.

In closing, yes its big hassle with the poles but an expense worth taking at this point. Yes I would like to get some higher level practice jumps but those poles are on their way to Oz and I can't risk injury by moving up to bigger poles. I would love to upgrade my training to the new plan but it's too late for an "experiment". So again, "patience" must be the operative attitude. As unfun as that thought is, I'll do it. Thanks for your support. Its days like these I'm really glad to be able to vent to you. This is one of the only times that I can say with joy, "at least I have my health", because I am health and injury free at the moment. Patience should keep it that way. Have a great day! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment