Thursday, September 17, 2009

Good Vault/Training Day, Phillip & Buddy

Pretty fun day jumping as I was able to get in 12 jumps on six poles from my 32' 6" run. I wanted to move back a little further but couldn't find my smallest 14' pole until after practice. I was able to correct some of the technical issues I have been struggling with. Basically, I dropped the hip break out of my swing and that caused the arc to stay in front longer rather than swing to the side. The longer you are behind the arc the more the pole can lift you. If it swings to the side it releases your energy forward rather than up. I got over 12' 6" (3.81m) a couple of times on my 13-180/13.5 so I was pleased as that ties my run PR.

Running bars and lifting sucked in a good way in that they were hard but not overly taxing. It feels good to be back on a schedule. It's also fun not worrying about getting hurt. I'm far enough past my injury now and I'm at a lower level which is very safe. Of course I still have to listen to my body but so far so good.

My next jump session is Sunday so I'll see what I feel like. Because it is my short rest rotation I'll stay at a lower level. It is also my longest running and lifting day. Hopefully next Thursday I'll get some jumps at 13' (3.97m) on my smallest 14' pole. I've never made 13' on that pole so that will be a good challenge. After shipping I only have one small 14' pole and my four biggest ones left at home.

Speaking of shipping, Bruce Caldwell sent me all of the stuff he has set up there. I paid him $1,000 deposit last month to make this happen after the meet organizers told me it would cost $2,300. Bruce is also the founder of XLogic Sports and the maker of my pole vault poles. Because of this he has some shipping restrictions waived so it makes is at least doable.

My Friend Phillip
As I have mentioned, Phillip is a masters vaulter who will compete in my age group. He lives in Sydney and has been a huge help in my planning. Well this morning I got an email from him that he and some other vaulters are giving me the grand tour of the Harbour area on Saturday. This is the only thing I really wanted to do and now I've got a local taking me around. I'm so grateful. I'll make up a few T-Shirts for him. BTW - that's a popular custom at world meets is to exchange T-shirts with those from other countries. At least the vaulters do it.

Final Thoughts on Buddy
This was posted yesterday on the Cleveland Plain Dealer's website by Bill Livingston, the great sports scribe. If Bill's name sounds familiar it's because he wrote the outstanding book, "Above and Beyond" about Tim Mack and rise from a kid in Cleveland to the Olympic Gold Medal. Outstanding read and two great people in Bill and Timmy! Bubba

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/ind ... to_so.html

Book excerpt here - http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/ind ... ovebeyond/

Patrick Swayze vaulted into some track fans' memories, too: Between The Lines blog
by Bill Livingston/Plain Dealer Reporter
Wednesday September 16, 2009, 4:50 PM

Mark J. Terrill/Associated Press
Patrick Swayze brought a dancing/acrobatic grace to his teenage years in the pole vault. CLEVELAND, Ohio -- When actor Patrick Swayze died Tuesday after a courageous fight against pancreatic cancer, movie fans, Hollywood co-workers and family friends mourned him.
So did the track and field community.

Swayze was one of several celebrities drawn to the daring sport of pole vaulting as young men. Among them were astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin; actor Robert Culp; the inventor of basketball's "triangle" offense, Tex Winter; and rock star Shannon Hoon.

"Buddy," as Swayze was called in high school in Houston, was an accomplished pole vaulter. He also ice skated, took ballet classes, and was a gymnast. All the physical grace that Swayze showed in "Ghost" and "Dirty Dancing" translated readily to sports. He was a fine athlete.

Doug "Bubba" Sparks, an elite Masters age-group competitor, was a five-time All American at Southwest Texas State (now Texas State) and a three-time national champion in the pole vault. He was also a junior high teammate of Swayze's in Houston. He wrote this tribute to the actor upon his death:

"I began vaulting at the age of 12 with the stud of our junior high school team, a future movie star, the one and only, Patrick (Buddy) Swayze. Of course we didn't know that at the time. We just knew that his mom ran "Patsy Swayze's School of Dance," that he was much more developed than us, and that he pointed his toes going over the bar. He was our hero! I mean this guy could vault like we could only dream, and looked great doing it.

"I remember that he had a bit of a temper when things didn't go exactly as he hoped. At first I was mystified but then I realized that was why he was truly better than we were. I tried to be like Buddy and promised that no matter what, I would never give up and that I would not accept failure as a permanent destination."
=====================================================

I feel so much better when I'm active on a daily basis so this is a nce return to normal. Thank you for being there! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment