Saturday, September 19, 2009

Ho Hum, DJ, More World Indoors + Don Curry

Since I've switched back to lifting legs the day that I vault, I always have this dead/off day the day before I vault. Pretty boring as I feel like I'd like to be doing something but that is not in the cards as I get closer to the meet. I leave two weeks from Wednesday so I have another full two weeks of training before I go. I've really enjoyed being back on this schedule as I feel pretty good on most days. I need to remember that when I'm feeling like I am today - bored.

DJ
Yesterday I talked to my longtime friend and my former coach, Dave Johnston (DJ) in Florida. He wanted to fill me in on a few technical things he saw in my jumps and discuss some other training refinements for when I get back. DJ was my coach in 1997 when I won National Indoors in Boston and was 3rd at the World Masters Championships in South Africa. We both lived in Southern California at the time. He's worked with some of the top athletes in the world in many events so it's always good to hear his latest slant. He gave me a lot of good supporting information to go along with what Kris and I have planned.

World Indoors
Last night I booked a room at a ski resort in British Columbia for next year's World Indoor Championships in March. Normally I'd do this a little later but since Nancy isn't going to Australia I wanted to get the next trip planned that we both will go on. Actually that will be our annual vacation to Maine only 10 days after I get back from Oz. She has never had an interest in going to Oz and I think part of it is the long flight. But as I say, "that's where the big meet is so that's where we're going". You can't just phone these things in from your local training area. You have to show up and make it happen that day.

Starting to Feel Ready
As for the World Masters Games, I'm feeling more confident and less negative as I get closer to the event. I'm sure doubts will creep in but when you have a nice block of consistent training time like I'm having now, it sure makes you feel a little more in control of your destiny. Last night I mapped out the objectives for the final training sessions so I'll feel ready when I go to get on the plane. To me that's always the key; get on the plane knowing you have done all you can to be ready. That way you can relax and enjoy the event. Or like Kris says, "the hay is in the barn".

Tomorrow's vault day will be my short rest rotation so I will stay on small poles and try and push my technical efficiency. It's my longer running day with 8 X 100 and 8 X 50 with a sled and heavy pole. It is also my bigger lifting day with 18 reps instead of the 12 reps on the previous rotation. This should leave me healthy but pretty beat up until I jump again on Thursday.

Don Curry
I've been going out on Saturday mornings to watch my training partner, Don Curry, try to vault. I've known Don for the better part of 40 years as we grew up vaulting in each other's back yards. In 2007 we got 1st (him) and 2nd (me) in the National Senior Games in Louisville. Now we are in different age groups because I am older. I recruited him back in 2005 to help drive us both to higher levels.

Don has been plagued by over a year by what we now think is a double hernia. I had this in 1999 and wasted a year and a half with physicians trying to figure out what injury I had. Finally I went to a general surgeon and he diagnosed the hernias. Six weeks later I was 100%. The problem for Don is that the test the doctor does will not put enough stress on the area to show as a hernia. Mine did the same thing too for awhile until I finally blew it out enough that he could find it. I know he has been super frustrated with this problem so hopefully the end is near and we can get him back to regular training.

That's it for today guys and gals. Thanks for your support as always!! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment