Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Almost Stupid + Golf Revisited

As the title suggests, THIS could have been the day I would be kicking myself about for the next year. As I stated yesterday I didn't feel I would be ready to vault today. I woke up feeling better but still a "maybe". I talked to my training partner, Don Curry, last night and we agreed that today I would start with my smallest 13' pole (171.6/15.9) and work on the bothersome technical issues on my extension up the pole. Seems I can do it fine on big poles or small poles but not the in between poles.

Why the change in plans when I knew I would be at risk? As also mentioned yesterday my central air went out at our house. I have an extended home warranty and a maintenance agreement so long story short, I get a brand new one for $60. The problem is I will lose half of today and all day tomorrow coordinating this replacement, so jumping tomorrow is not an option. Add to that the fact that Nancy, her mom (93), me and the two dogs are getting ready to head to a hotel for the day and night. Last night the house only got down to 80 degrees and the sun is already out bright and hot.

SO, I can't jump Thursday so let's try a low level day Wednesday? During my warm up I was starting to feel pretty good. As you do when you feel pretty good, I started to increase my rhythm. Still everything is A-OK. Then it happened. I hopped over a drainage grate on the inside of the curb of the track that drains the football field. As I quickened my pace on the other side I felt a sudden twinge in my right hamstring. Not pain just a little weakness. Right handed pole vaulters strain left hamstrings, not the right one so I knew this was a fluke resulting from my soreness from training and lifting. Left alone it will fine tomorrow or the next day as there was no pain or injury. Here goes that 18 year old mind trying to convince the 56 year old body that all is well and that I can still jump at a low level since I have never hurt my right hamstring in my entire career since I was 12 years old. I hook up to the 30 pound sled and do my four easy 50m hill runs. I'm carefully watching for any sign that it might be OK or not.

Then it hit me - I've got you guys. The whole reason I write this is to manage stress and anxiety by sharing my inner thoughts about my approach to training for this huge event. I remember telling you that every single time that I have been hurt I KNEW it was a distinct possibility yet tried to go anyway. The result today, thanks to you, is that I put the sled away when I was finished, locked up and left the track to go to my leg lifting session. Never even took my poles out. I might have been able to jump today but it wasn't worth the risk and I knew it. I felt nothing in my leg while lifting and I'll jump again Saturday morning with a clear head and fresh body. Crisis narrowly averted. Thank you!

An old lesson remembered - so what was it today? When you get busy you tend to skip the easiest things and for me that was stretching. I stretch 5-6 days per week and have only stretched once since my hardest training day Sunday. Again, I know this but today was a very scary reminder that it wouldn't be on the training plan if it weren't urgent to get done. I can assure you I will not miss another stretch session.

Golf and Pole Vaulting Revisited
According to the Houston Chronicle today, last week Doug Sparks got a hole in one in golf on the 15th hole of the Cypresswood Golf Course. That would be my 78 year old dad. After my mom's passing just over three months ago he has renewed his passion for golf. As I told him shortly after she died, he had been a 24/7 caregiver for three years and now he's lost his job. Therefore he had better start learning about what he likes to do again. I related my blog post to him about the similarities of golf and pole vaulting and he agreed, it takes just a few good shots to get him anxious to be back out on the course. Needless to say that one shot will have him back for quite awhile.

My mom was a big leader and supporter of all of our interests but she pretty much forced my dad into golf, not that he minded. He had retired after 44 years at AT&T and had joined their ladies walking club. It didn't take long for them to kick him out because he's not a lady, had no gossip to contribute, but plenty of opinions about theirs. To break it to him easily my mom enrolled him in a golf training group called the "Century Club" for those aspiring to break 100. Two weeks after he joined the group they were on the cover on Golf Digest as a new senior's movement. Today he shoots in the low to mid 80s and this was his third hole in one.

That's it for today. Gotta get to the hotel and some cool air. Thanks again for being there and present in my conscious!! As a result I am still 100% healthy. Bubba

2 comments:

  1. I've got something to add to your golf story: I have a very close family. My older brother, who was also my best man in my wedding, passed away in 2003. We were clearing out his house and, among many things we removed, I took a sleeve of brand new golf balls and stuck them in my car. The very next golf game I play I decide to use the golf balls I took. On the 3rd hole I pop in a hole in one. This is from a guy who golfs 2-3 per year max and proudly shoots a 110 on a good day. Wait, it gets better: The very next time I play golf (same sleeve of balls) on about the 4th hole, I'm showing the people I was playing with how I shot the hole in one. Lo and behold I shoot another hole in one! Each game we had 4 players but my younger brother was there at both.
    I'm not giving any explanations, I'm just passing along my story. Pass it along to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story Matt. I printed it for my dad. Thanks. BTW - I'm jumping Saturday morning. See you then? Bubba

    ReplyDelete