Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Random Thoughts

JEEZ - seems like a lot of typing for something that's still a month away. Please don't confuse mental preparation with "paralysis by analysis". I don't just sit around and think about this competition all of the time, but I do bring up relevant concerns as they arise. The objective is to get on the plane and be able to enjoy the process and accept the results no matter what the outcome. If I do everything in my power along the way it's easier to be at peace. There have been so many disappointments at big competitions where top people inexplicably fell apart on the worst possible day and where underdogs charged forward and seized their moment in the sun. I'm all for both but it's also why I think things out so far in advance. No one likes surprises, but you will still have them no matter how well you prepare.

At the 1996 Olympic Games, my Australian buddy, Simon Arkell, arrived at the practice track in Atlanta for prelims to get on the bus to go to the Olympic track. When I arrived to see him off he was absolutely furious as someone had taken a couple of his poles out of his bag and left them out in the rain all night. We still don't know how this happened but what I saw was all of Simon's pent up energy was released over a five minute period rather than being directed to a positive performance. He told me afterward that he felt drained and it seemed like he was running through quicksand. Though he jumped very well, it was a struggle and he failed to make the Final.

You're going to get surprises so relax and let them go if you can. I've had about 15 people point out that I have the highest mark of those entered (not by much!!). That scares me because it means absolutely nothing today or on that day. I have to earn my stripes the day of the event like everyone else. Ask Sergey Bubka who nhd the 1992 Olympics, or Issy who nhd Worlds in Berlin last month, or Brad Walker, the US vaulter who was going to Berlin to defend his world title - a freak bad landing three weeks out forced him out of the Championships. HEY - I'm not even to the three week out mark yet. SO, my rule is to be afraid. Be VERY afraid and take nothing for granted. Believe it or not, it's not stressful to live this way. If anything it's comforting because I know I'm doing all I can. Then when the big day arrives we'll let the chips fall where they may.

As we approached Indoor Nationals in Landover, Maryland, there were three of us in the meet over 13' yet I won with a vault of 12'. HUH?! At Outdoor Nationals in Oshkosh, Wisconsin we had the exact same scenario and I got 3rd. Who knows why these things turn out the way they do but that's reality? I plan to hit the field with a clear mind, enjoy the experience with my fellow competitors and celebrate their success. If I have some success along the way, that would be nice but the bottom line is to be prepared so I can enjoy the experience. Have a fun day!! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment