Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Off Day - Kind Of

Wednesdays are my "travel" days where I drive a big loop to visit face to face with clients and partners. A lot of my work is on the telephone and email around the country so today I get face to face with my local team. Because of this I make today my off day from training. Tomorrow is a long vault, run, bars and lift day so I will get a stretch in late this afternoon. Needless to say I'm pretty stiff after all of the driving and sitting.

Tomorrow I'm back to the ramp up as I return to small poles and try to get more vaults in. The running also increases and the lifting weights go up. Should be fun!! Enjoy your day! Bubba

PS - Yesterday my buddy Ken Stone at the www.masterstrack.com posted about Buddy in a call to others to remember their first track heroes. Great idea Ken!! Bubba

http://masterstrack.com/blog/005915.html

Bubba Sparks takes mournful detour from Sydney to Swayze
By Ken Stone on September 16, 2009 1:22 AM No Comments
Yesterday's blog entry by Bubba "Heading Down Under" Sparks is a remembrance of his junior high teammate Buddy Swayze, better known as Patrick Swayze of "Ghost" and "Dirty Dancing" fame. Patrick died of cancer Sunday at age 58. Bubba writes: "I didn't know that Buddy's name was Patrick until I saw him in his first movie. Yep, THAT Patrick "Buddy" Swayze is the guy I learned how to pole vault with at Frank M. Black Jr. High School. I ran into him in Hollywood many years later by chance on the Paramount lot where I was with some friends who were actors in the Dynasty/Colby's series as they were taping the wedding show. . . . He was my first vault hero." Heroes are good. Who was your local track hero in school? Mine was hurdler Rhett Bray at Orange County's Valencia High School in 1970, my alma mater. Rhett was the Tigers' star hurdler when I was overcoming my fear of the highs. Watching him skim was a thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment