Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My First Vault Hero Dies - Buddy Swayze

I didn't know that Buddy's name was Patrick until I saw him in his first movie. Yep, THAT Patrick "Buddy" Swayze is the guy I learned how to pole vault with at Frank M. Black Jr. High School. I ran into him in Hollywood many years later by chance on the Paramount lot where I was with some friends who were actors in the Dynasty/Colby's series as they were taping the wedding show. I also saw Eddie Murphy and got to meet the nicest actor in Charlton Heston. But talking to Buddy about pole vaulting and our beginnings was pretty cool, since he was my first vault hero. Here is what I wrote on my website in 2000 about Buddy - http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/DoYouLovetoPV.htm. He will be missed.

"I began vaulting at the age of 12 with the stud of our Jr. High School team, a future movie star, the one and only, Patrick (Buddy) Swayze. Of course we didn't know that at the time. We just knew that his mom ran "Patsy Swayze's School of Dance", that he was MUCH more developed than us, and that he pointed his toes going over the bar. He was our HERO! I mean this guy could vault like we could only dream, and looked great doing it. I remember that he had a bit of a temper when things didn't go exactly as he hoped. At first I was mystified but then I realized that was why he was truly better than we were. I tried to be like Buddy and promised that no matter what, I would never give up and that I would not accept failure as a permanent destination. "

Four Weeks From Today
Well, it's finally real. My emails are heating up with all types of final logistics from the event itself. You have visas and transportation, credentialing issues, etc. Fortunately our tour company handles most of this stuff for us but you have to keep a close eye on it. I've met some very nice people both here and in Oz that I'm trying to coordinate when and where we will meet. Basically I arrive Friday morning so that day will be shot with customs, hotel and credentialing. The next day I need a workout so I'll try to hit the practice track. I would also like to go to Sydney Harbour on Saturday which appears to be nearly an hour train ride. Sunday I hope to catch up with Phillip and watch his club kids vault. Monday I'm meeting Andrew to watch his coach vault and probably catching up with Alan Launder. Tuesday is the big day. Wednesday is getting packed again and getting my poles shipped out and Thursday I'm on my way home. Needless to say the advance planning is the only thing that will make this smooth enough to be fun.

Oh Yeah - My Workouts
Running today was good as is stretching. I'm bringing this up again to remind me that when I'm busy and thinking about what I might cut out it WILL NOT be stretching. Overall I feel very good and comfortable. Each practice is focused with purpose yet well within myself as far as effort goes.

I got my power adapter and compression socks yesterday and will get some new headphones today. Phillip will help me get lighter fluid if it rains so that's one less stressor as far as packing flammable liquids. Let's not forget that I work for a living so there is as much planning on what work I can do before I go and what I can do when I'm gone. Since most of my work is by email and telephone I can at least keep up with the email. Typically I plan a huge business project near a big competition so my mind is busy elsewhere.

That's it for today. Have a great day and thank you for being here!! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment