Thursday, September 3, 2009

Optimism vs. Pessimism & Other Tangents

Funny how I always expect the best/most out of myself but sometimes have very little confidence in the dedication of certain others. Our AC went out and though we have a maintenance agreement with a contractor for the home warranty company, they can't find the part. Of course the AC company has it in stock but the home warranty company doesn't have an agreement with them for that. So I wait while they search and await delivery of this humongous AC unit when the people who are going to install it have a whole stack of them in their warehouse. BTW - I don't want to be out of my house until the Tuesday after Labor Day so both entities are getting a lesson in customer based logic from me. Of course I'm nice about it but the solution seems so obvious. What they are looking for is in the garage of the people who will install it.

This ranks right up there with the Houston Astros having an 8-1 lead in the 5th inning and both Nancy and I look at each other and say that isn't enough. The Astros are very capable of blowing that lead. Or the Texans who were ahead of Indianapolis 28-7 with just under five minutes left and lost. We expect them to blow it and we're surprised when they don't. They seem to do just enough to get us interested and then fall apart when it really matters.

I say this because it skews my own reality. I've got a huge competition and four weeks from today I will be in the air going to Australia and I feel totally comfortable that I will be healthy and perform well. Foolish!! I haven't been near my main meet poles since early August because of an injury and, as a precaution, I'm pretty afraid to do so. Yet in my mind I'll just show up and things will be fine - because they always are if I arrive healthy, which I almost always do.

I'll jump at Kris' in New Braunfels next Friday and there I'll hit the bottom end of my smallest meet poles. If I survive that I should be OK. If not I've got 3 1/2 weeks to recover and may not have small enough poles in the bag that I'm shipping. The bottom line is I will be more than careful and take the minimum number of jumps to feel ready, then it's back to the safety of smaller poles in training.

As you can see, I sure have no confidence in today's customer service, the Astros or the Texans. To me that's strange because if you look at this on paper, I am easily the one you should have no confidence in, yet I feel good about where I am at this stage of preparations. Seems stupid but that's my reality. Sorry for the ramble but this is the question that haunted me through today's lifting in the hot garage. BTW - It was great to have an extended stretching session again and I feel absolutely nothing from yesterday.

Still no schedule but at least now I have a link where we always know what time it is in Sydney. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=240
Right now it's 11:03 AM Thursday here and 2:03 AM Friday there. I remember when Simon Arkell got his first 19' jump he called me from Oz and it was 1:30 in the morning for him yet early afternoon in California. That's why I want to see the schedule. I don't want to be calling Nancy at 3 AM her time with a meet report.

I'm just a schedule guy. I feel more productive if I know it and control it to the level that I can. Sure it changes all of the time but at least I started with some idea of what is was going to be. Any semblance of order has been totally gone this week yet I'm still getting my stuff done in all categories. It's just a little more STRESSFUL!! Thanks for being there. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment