Saturday, September 12, 2009

Back to the Grind With Joy

I'm comfortable in this phase because the weights go up and the reps come down so I can take a little more time between sets and focus on my stretching. Weight lifted today was 56,570 compared to 45,653 for the same day last week. My big lifts go to 3 X 5 on day one and 5,3,2 on the second day. The secondary lifts drop to 8,6 and I add 5 lb. ankle weights to all bar work. I also bump the sled up 5 lbs. and add more hundreds on the grass. I'll run three days a week going 8X100 + 8X50m/sled, 4X all and then 6 times all with the vaulting days being on the 8 and 6 rep days. This is really a very fun time because everything is quality and you're not always on the edge of exhaustion. Looking forward to it. Then when I rest for the better part of six days before the meet, I should feel magnificent on the competition day. That's typically how it breaks down.

When I met with Kris yesterday we finalized next year's game plan. I told him that I feel I'm stuck where I am until I make some physical changes so after Oz we will switch to a six days each per week running and lifting program. Basically two a days for four months. Sounds dumb but I love this part too. The hardest thing to do is to train year round if you're not excited about your training. So every year about May, Kris and I start laying out objectives and groundwork for the next year. By the time my last big meet is over I can't wait to start training for next year.

As far as big meets go I plan to jump at World Indoors in Kamloops, Canada on March 5, 2010 and then the USA Track & Field Indoor Nationals at the end of the same month in Boston. Then I will go into a 14 week high intensity sprint program. I'll skip outdoor Nationals and go on an Alaskan cruise with Nancy. In 2011 the World Outdoors will be in Sacramento and the National Senior Games will be in Houston. I will also be 58 and one of the older guys in my group, so if I don't upgrade my body to another level I may be left behind as the young bucks begin to turn 55. Long story short - I'll take a year from April to get me to the next level to be able to compete. That will also be my training base to get me ready for 2013 when I turn 60. Worlds that year are in Brazil.

This has been such a long road back but I have really enjoyed the transformation. Again, it could not happen without Kris. In 2005 after being out three years with Achilles issues, I got 3rd at Nationals with a jump of 11' 6" and won Texas Seniors with 11'. Last year I vaulted 13' 5 1/4" and won Texas Seniors with a State Record at 13' 1/4" (3.97m), so our plan is working - but we're out of bullets in that gun. Time to become a runner and a dynamic weightlifter. Should be fun.

Heading out to go buy extra cans of sticky spray for my grip. Nancy is out buying lighter fluid in case it rains. I need multiple cans hidden in my luggage because they can be confiscated because it says "Flammable" on the can. Well so is hair spray but they don't take that. I know - I have no hair but Nancy does. LOL! I use black friction tape and then spray it so my hand becomes black and sticky. In the rain that does not work so I use lighter fluid. Gotta be ready for all occasions.

The final game plan for the meet is to hit my normal meet start pole which is my first carbon fiber pole, the 16.2. It's big but a little forgiving because it has a medium slow bend. I got concerned yesterday that if I am allowed to finesse that I might be in trouble so we'll start at 55' on a pretty big pole so I will have to do some things right. I'm excited to have this decision made too.

That's it for today. Thanks for your support and have a great day!! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment