Monday, September 14, 2009

Strength vs. Conditioning + The Mirage

We have discussed this before but finalizing the plan for next year really broke down the training into what components are designed for strength and what components are meant for conditioning. There is a such a huge difference especially for an older athlete. If you aren't conditioned you get hurt and if you aren't strong you can't progress. I've spent a year on strength and that's what happened - I got stronger but I seemed to always be hurt. I spent a year on conditioning and made no progress. The past two years I've found a better balance but next year we're set with a complete balance in all aspects, including running and actual vaulting. I'm excited and relieved that all of this massive information exchange has finally come into focus.

The Mirage
Things are rarely as you see them and the view changes as your understanding does also. A great example is in viewing pole vault videos. I promise you that if you watch vault videos and then go out to vault that you will not do well. I don't really get it but there seems to be a disconnect between what you see and what you're trying to do. Watching video after the fact or even the day before is better. It's just too hard to go from mental to physical, for me anyway. Don visualizes everything but I do everything by feel. I've never made a bar in my life on a visualization. Something always happens and I crash badly in some extreme way. So for me, I plan for a feeling and THAT I can do pretty easily. Maybe that's why I can't watch vaulting video and then go do it. It's a mirage.

Another odd thing I've learned is that blogging is like watching video. I can't do it until my workout is done or I have no direct connect. I remember when I first started lifting again I would write down what weight I lifted after the set and then enter that into my computer later. A couple of times I wrote down the weight BEFORE I did it and that really bothered me. Strange as that seems I felt like I cheated and suddenly lost motivation to do the set I had already written down. I don't understand these feelings but I acknowledge the fact that I feel I have to earn it to write it down. That's exactly how I feel about this blog. I'm on a mission to compete well in the World Masters Games. As my buddy Ken Stone so eloquently put in the comments section of the first post, "keep your eye on the prize". The mission comes first and the writing comes second. I guess my point is I CAN'T write unless I've done the workout first. It wouldn't feel right and I would have no fresh thoughts to contribute.

Overall I'm feeling very good and looking forward to jumping Thursday. This will be my first complete week of regular training in a long time. First there was the rehab period, and then the back off period to try bigger poles, then another one before I went to see Kris on Friday. Now I'll have three full weeks of training stability. I'm very much a schedule person so I'm a lot happier and more comfortable in this training pattern. Not to mention that my body likes me better too.

That's it guys and gals. Thanks for being there. Every now and then I get a note from someone following and it reminds me that I'm being watched. There is nothing particularly special about my every day events but it does very much help me to express my thoughts and rationale during this ramp up time. So a sincere thanks again!! Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment