Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ramping Up & the Importance of Rest

At breakfast I said to Nancy that if the meet were Saturday I'm very comfortable I would be ready. The problem is that I vault one month from today so how do I pass the time? That said, I train in cycles where I ramp up and down depending on my target meets. Vaulting with Kris Friday was a moderate target which means I backed off my training a little bit so I would feel a little more fresh. Now that is over I will go back down and ramp up again.

My point is that the training for the final month is predictable and not just going through the motions just because I'm ready today. But the fact that I am ready now makes it fun. I fully expect a big technical vault clean up, lots of sled running and PRs in all of my lifts. For example, before outdoor nationals my bench was 235 and I could do 205 X 4. Right now I'm back to easily benching 205 X 2 so I am ramping up. In another month I hope to be at 225 X 2 and 205 X 6. According to my phased ramp up I fully expect this to happen before I leave.

So I'll sit back and enjoy the process and the days will fly by faster than I expect. Speaking of which, I'm losing a day on the flight there so I need to calculate that into my rest schedule. I was thinking that I could hit a long but easy running session Wednesday before I fly out but since I arrive on Friday, I'll lose a day of what I thought would be rest. Since I vault the Tuesday after I arrive on Friday I'll need to revisit the plan for the last day and the few days before it.

Today I overcame the significant urge to go out and do something. A day off is planned or needed. I jumped at a very high level just the day before yesterday so why go out today and risk overwork when I should be getting a recovery day? Your body makes 100% of its progress during rest and sometimes it's a very difficult thing to make yourself do. I like to do something every day but this is not a smart thing today. One little flare and it will take me three weeks for it to go away. SO, I'll watch some football.

That's all for today. Have a great Sunday and thanks for your support. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment