Friday, August 21, 2009

The Value of Leverage

Whenever I get a ding I move my run back in and work my way back up poles and runs as a way of augmenting my rehab process. It gives me a chance to focus on technical issues that may be slipping. Big poles require more energy but they throw you harder and can cover up some mistakes that cost you efficiency. That said, my focus has been to keep my body as long as possible without the natural urge to break at the hips to try and get vertical. Breaking at the hips cuts your leverage in half at exactly the point you need it most. This mental discipline, to wait when you want to go, makes a huge difference in your results. Today I got to see a little of it firsthand.

My best vault from my 22' run is 10' 6" and I have matched that the last two sessions. Today I decided to stay at that run and move up a pole, something I have been unable to do in the past. I knew that I would have to stay long and keep pressure on my hands or I would not be able to get in on the pole and therefore would not be able to attempt to clear the bar. It worked and I was able to make 11' on the pole.

I knew the pole would be too small for 11' 6" so I went into the shed and got the next pole up. I tried four times to use that pole from that run this year and was never close. Sure enough, I made 11' on it and then on my 3rd attempt, made 11' 6" on that pole. Amazing breakthrough to move up two poles and jump a foot higher than my previous best while being careful with my legs. It just goes to show that it's more about position than speed.

The great coach, Vitaly Petrov, of the Sergey Bubka, starts all practices from two steps, then four steps then six steps. The idea is that ALL vaulters are strong and fast so we need to take that away from them in order for them to learn how to work with physics instead of against physics. I think my success today reflects that thinking.

My next jump day is Monday and I will move back to the 33' run and start moving through poles as needed. My guess is that between 2-4 sessions I'll be over 12' again (my baseline start height) and then back to 44'. It's important that I don't just move up poles to make the bar but rather stay with the focus on an easy run with better mechanics. I need to allow leverage to be my friend and not be in such a big hurry to add back in the speed and power. Fun day!! Bubba

PS - if I had to jump in Sydney on Tuesday, instead of six weeks from Tuesday, I would be able to use one of my smallest meet poles and clear at least 12'. That height should be enough for a medal. That means I have no reason to do anything but to remain cautiously optimistic and very careful not to get hurt. Keep training hard but jumping under my present physical level.

No comments:

Post a Comment