Friday, August 14, 2009

Preparing for the Fight

Hello friends. This web log diary or “blog” is about my impending trip to Sydney, Australia where I will compete in the World Masters Games, along with 28,000 other athletes over the age of 30 in 28 events from over 100 countries. I will be in the Men 55-59 pole vault. I compete on October 13, 2009.

The link to my pole vault site is www.bubbapv.com and the link to the World Masters Games is here http://www.2009worldmasters.com/. There is a neat summary video here http://www.2009worldmasters.com/Sydney-2009-World-Masters-Games-Promotional-Video/default.aspx.

Why a blog? As a 56 year old athlete we train for events like boxers train for fights. I have just over eight weeks left before the event. Frankly I'm hoping this will keep me sane and entertained as the stress mounts and the time gets closer. I've found in the past that letting others in on the behind the scenes stuff did just that.

In 1996 I spent five weeks in Atlanta with the Olympic pole vaulters and then in 1997 I went to the World Masters "Athletics" (what the rest of the world calls Track & Field) in South Africa. Both times I chronicled my journeys and it was fun. Why should this time be any different?

Reality - Let's start with the fact that on July 11, I was slightly injured at our USA Track & Field Outdoor Masters Championships in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I stopped during the competition to avoid further injury yet still got 3rd and the bronze medal. I thought I would easily be healed by August 8th when I would compete at the National Senior Games in Pal Alto, California, but I was not cautious enough and had to watch the meet as a spectator. Now eight weeks out from Sydney I'm scared to death about every move I will make in training as I cannot afford any further setbacks or miscalculations. This is not an inexpensive trip and my performance must be dead on if there will be any hope to win a medal. Heck, it costs nearly $1,000 just to get my poles there.

Injuries are prevalent at the highest levels in our sport. Managing them is essential to remain at the highest levels. For example, I won the USA Track & Field Masters Indoor Championships in March at Landover, Maryland, even though I was injured on my 2nd vault of the meet and had to stop. So in this short segment you see I have had injury issues at all three of my big meets this year. Not great for the ole confidence.

Tomorrow will be my first training session following my forced vacation as a spectator at the National Senior Games. I’ve got that sting reminding me not to be stupid. I plan to report my progress (or lack of), rationale and even my frustrations as I prepare for the biggest competition of my life. Thanks in advance for your support and coming along for the ride. Bubba

4 comments:

  1. Way to go, Bubba! Blogging shows what kind of a MAN you are. Only the toughest, smartest and most articulate masters dare expose themselves to the rigors of online diary-making.

    Having said that, I urge you to keep your eyes on the prize: medaling in Sydney. So your meet comes first.

    Get plenty of rest and don't sweat the blog. Get your butt over the bar first!

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your number one fan up here in Minnesota is pullin' for you all the way. As Ken has said already, keep the eye on the prize. It's there for the taking. Later............Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bubba
    The last time I vaulted was in Long Beach in 1982 when I snapped the pole I had borrowed from you. Sorry about that. Guess I still owe you one. You are an inspiration to all us aging dudes. Good luck in Sydney.
    John Lentz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to following your vaulting. I have an old timers blog, focusing on Arizonans, but from time to time go national if it fits into my forum.Would like to do a story on you for my readers.Would love to share our blogs.

    ReplyDelete