Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Pain of Rest

I remember during the Tour de France that Lance Armstrong said he hated the days off because he felt so bad the next day. Today is my second day off and I feel pretty beat up but more than ready to resume training. Everything "heals short" so you have all of these little aches and pains that you really don't feel when you're always active. I guess it's like the "Tin Man" getting oil. Once those joints get moving they feel much better.

Tonight I'm working on structuring my training to go hard until I jump with Kris in New Braunfels on September 11 - 10 days away. I have to take my poles there anyway to ship to Australia so I might as well get a good jump session in. Actually I will ramp up to that point and that day will be my last high level vault day. After that I'll go back to 13' poles and work on technique.

I'm jumping tomorrow morning early (7 AM) because I have a ton of business work to get done. My training partner, Don Curry, is coming out to help. I'll be careful but each practice until I go to Kris will be a little more intense as I move through to bigger poles and longer runs. It is nice to be completely healthy no matter how temporary. Oh yeah, I don't feel that thing in my right leg at all so the break was the right call.

Some might question that my hardest vault day would be a month out from the big meet but I think it makes perfect sense. When you jump on small poles your body gets used to that timing so you hold technical positions for longer. That's a big problem as it is hard to hold these positions for very long. Then when you switch to a bigger pole it throws you very hard before you can fall out of the desired position. More importantly it lessens the chance of injury to train on small poles.

That's it for today. Thanks for being there. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment