Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bad Day on a Good Day

Sometimes you feel good but jump crappy. Today was one of those days - hate them!! I guess a bad day of jumping is better than a day that I'm injured so I shouldn't complain. My technique was all over the place today. I did one good thing on most jumps but it takes more than that. I think part of it is I was feeling pretty good from the two days rest and I was being super careful not to run too hard. As a result my timing was very inconsistent. For example, on my next to last jump I was too careful on the run and came down on the bar at 12' pretty hard even though I had a lot of height. On the last jump I ran right and hit the pole hard with my arms and it was way too little.

The number one thing is to create pole speed with a solid body at take off. You're either the bug or the windshield as far as energy transfer goes. I started on the 15.0 (13-176) from 32' and made 11' and then 12' on it but I wasn't getting in as far as I was the last day when I felt flat. That's a mystery to me. A big part of that is that the box is starting to come up on me faster as my run improves and moves back, so if you're a little off there you lose energy. That's a one day adjustment so I should be past that now.

I moved back to 42' the 14.7 (1380) and made 12' easy. Moved to the 14.3 and did the same. I didn't try higher because I was too inconsistent. Part of the problem of "rehab" is that your run is closer so the poles you are used to moving may not move as easily. For example, I was at 42' today and I'm normally at 44' or 45'. It may not sound like much but 2-3' further back with only 8 steps is a big difference in speed and power. That said, I feel healthy enough to start to attack my run and take off like I'm used to.

Long story short - very frustrating as I had some components of some very big jumps for the level I'm vaulting at, but I never did the same thing right two jumps in a row. My vault requires pressure on my hands and when I catch myself finessing I get into consistency trouble. When I jumped 12' from 22' the other day I HAD to do everything right or I wouldn't be in far enough to go for the bar. Today was flat out sloppy. I need to be more aggressive on may take off step while still being cautious on the runway speed. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment