Monday, August 17, 2009

Training Adjustments + Golf and Pole Vaulting

Hot day I the old garage. I lift my upper day in the garage because I have high parallel bars in the backyard and I also have a workbench to do a different type of stretching routine. In Texas, the temps can easily get over 100 degrees this time of year so you can imagine the garage. I also lift heavier on my upper day doing sets of 8,6,4 on one day and 6,4,2 on the other with my stretches in between.

Training Adjustments
This week my schedule is all over the place because I will be driving out of town to meetings on Wednesday and Thursday. Because of that, and since I?m at pretty low intensity, I will compress my week and take no rest days. These means I will jump every third day until I get back on my Thursday and Sunday jump days. This will happen a week from Thursday. Obviously I?ll change that if I feel at risk of injury. The bad news is that I?ll be in the gym or garage before 7 AM on both Wednesday and Thursday before I hit the road.

Golf and Pole Vaulting
WOW. My last post regarding big meet shake ups came true on the golf course yesterday as the 110th ranked player in the world took down Tiger Woods after Tiger was ahead the whole way. That has never happened in 14 previous attempts. The defending champion, Padraig Harrington, was also tied going into the final round and fell by the wayside with a quadruple bogey. Golf is largely a mental game dependent upon a series of small fundamentals done perfectly with great consistency. So is pole vaulting.

I tell the kids that in this sport you have to have the mental discipline to get comfortable with the uncomfortable, and then go find the next uncomfortable. This is harder to do in a big meet unless that?s the way you practice.

Another funny golf to pole vaulting comparison is that both tend to have only a very few really good attempts or jumps over a long session but it?s those rare successes that draws us back out the next time.

Still No Schedule
We were notified by management in Sydney that today we would receive an email with our final competition field listed and our exact time to compete. I?m anxious to see who I know and what time locally we will jump. I?ll keep you posted. Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment